Some Stuff About Me ......

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire with my wonderful wife and soul-mate Helen. I have two incredible sons - Evan and Matthew - who are occasionally show up at home, usually when they're hungry or need money. The three of them are the best thing that ever happened to me and I love them all. I spent over 24 years in the Royal Navy, but since I packed it all in and got a proper job my life has gone from strength to strength and I've never looked back. I am a die-hard soul music fan, but my heart truly belongs in the fells of Northern England, it's what I was made for. Please read about my adventures and experiences ....

Sunday 12 June 2011

Bed Race Victory

A rather entertaining weekend, all in all. Legs feeling a little tired from Friday's exertions, however Helen and I forced ourselves throught the door for a 30-miler (bikes, you understand) out to Boroughbridge and back, went pretty well. Stopped at Ripley on the way back for pies/ice cream and to muse on what b****s some car drivers are, then back home, quick scrub-up and out to the Knaresborough Bed Race. A hugely important event hereabouts, last year our club ceded the title back to Ripon Runners and this year it was looking very dodgy, as due to the ridiculous policy (and incompetence) of Knaresborough Lions we didn't even get a place! This meant of course that there was no viable opposition to Ripon and they were going to walk away with it ...

Fortunately - and I don't know what happened - a team pulled out and we were allocated their place. Not perfect, as we were fourth on the grid and that means it's hard to overtake .... I am told there was an amount of pushing, shoving and near-temper losses, but in the event, our team's time was 2 seconds faster than Ripon, so once more Harrogate Harriers are the Great Knaresborough Bed Race champions. TV was there too, check out Trans World Sport for an interview with the winning team!

Have been messing around for most of the day, catching up on BGR news from the weekend etc. Repaired bad paintwork on front door frame, website updates, am now contemplating a run. And it's raining.

http://www.knaresborough.co.uk/bedrace/
http://www.harrogate-harriers.co.uk/index.htm

No comments: