Some Stuff About Me ......

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire with my wonderful wife and soul-mate Helen. I have two incredible sons - Evan and Matthew - who are occasionally show up at home, usually when they're hungry or need money. The three of them are the best thing that ever happened to me and I love them all. I spent over 24 years in the Royal Navy, but since I packed it all in and got a proper job my life has gone from strength to strength and I've never looked back. I am a die-hard soul music fan, but my heart truly belongs in the fells of Northern England, it's what I was made for. Please read about my adventures and experiences ....

Thursday 4 December 2014

Out of Sorts

I'm finding it difficult to be upbeat and positive about things at the moment, this is a bit of a shame because people need me to be just that at the moment and I'd rather not. At least I'm realistic enough to understand that this is almost entirely due to ongoing injury issues and I'm half-berating myself for not taking the time out to let my body heal when it had a chance ..... it's tough, it really is - the call of the hills is hard to ignore

Things aren't entirely bad: my knackered ankle is slowly improving and I haven't gone over on it since the Fell Relays, I have been strapping it up for runs on any severe terrain and so far that's been a good policy. My ITB/knee issues have also calmed down a lot and I have had no discomfort for the last few runs, so all good there too .... the problem is this pelvis/glute/whateveritis and it's been dragging me down. I went for an easy 15 miler on Sunday over what I would consider to be pretty benign terrain, but by the end I was in some pain, moreover I don't WANT to be taking painkillers every time I lace up my shoes.

Anyhow, I went to the osteopath on Tuesday and he loosened off my spine, ribs and pelvis, then last night Helen applied the deep-tissue treatment and I genuinely think we're getting somewhere. It seems that my back/QLs have been inordinately tight and this has exacerbated a ligament deep in my pelvis (underneath the gluteal muscles), so what's been happening is that we've been treating the effect and not the cause. This morning it feels a lot easier, however I am creaking a lot around the lumbar/pelvis region, so probably just need to be realigned. As it happens, I am going to physio tonight so that should address that! Am I spending all my pocket money on physiotherapy and osteopathy? Yes, but I get the sports massage for free - a bar of chocolate and that's it!

The question is, am I fit to do the Frostbite 30 on Saturday?? I don't know, but haven't withdrawn yet. It's my local Nidderdale race and Bobs and I run in that area all the time, I had to miss it last year so will be gutted if I have to do so again. A lot of mates are going to be doing it though, so I might simply have to man-up and do it. If I have to stop running for a while afterwards, so be it. I have the gym, pool and there's always the bike.

Talking of bike, I am going to give mine a bit of an overhaul: In my man cave I have 2 x new Conti GP4000S II to replace the Mavic Yksion tyres that the wheels came with (I don't like them), new brakes, new Ultegra chain, new bar tape and rather lovely Look Keo Classic pedals in red to match the bike. I'll throw all this lot on and give it a good lube and polish, it's good for the soul. And my soul DOES need restoring.

Count your blessings. That's what my mum always said.

No comments: