Some Stuff About Me ......

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire with my wonderful wife and soul-mate Helen. I have two incredible sons - Evan and Matthew - who are occasionally show up at home, usually when they're hungry or need money. The three of them are the best thing that ever happened to me and I love them all. I spent over 24 years in the Royal Navy, but since I packed it all in and got a proper job my life has gone from strength to strength and I've never looked back. I am a die-hard soul music fan, but my heart truly belongs in the fells of Northern England, it's what I was made for. Please read about my adventures and experiences ....

Thursday 9 June 2011

Stomping Uphill

Took a day off yesterday, felt very tired after interval/fartlek training on Tuesday night so thought that a day with no training would give the ol' glycogen levels a chance to replenish.  Also persuaded Helen (who's a qualified sports massage therapist) to give my legs a bit of a going-over and feel much better for it today, so as a) I'm upping my game (so to speak) and b) we have a tremendous gym at work, I thought I'd start doing the odd lunchtime workout.  So, did a nice relaxed 30mins on the treadmill, carefully working the tightness out of my quads then did a fierce 15 mins on the Summit Climber - you don't see many of these around actually and few people in the gym use it, which suits me perfectly.  Managed about 2000ft of ascent before I fell off in a sweaty heap, I will be using this machine a lot as the months progress.  The goal is to seriously build up my quads to a point where they will convey my worthless body uphill in a much more robust fashion.
 
On a very positive note, was beginning to worry about getting to our campsite in the Lakes next Friday in anything like a timely manner, owing to the fact that Helen can't get out of work early.  All is resolved, one of the guys I'm running leg 2 support with has offered to pick me up, this will mean I can get the tent up and have a nice relax before we have to get up (around 0200) and run across a fairly inhospitable mountain range.  It will be wonderful.

No comments: