Some Stuff About Me ......

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire with my wonderful wife and soul-mate Helen. I have two incredible sons - Evan and Matthew - who are occasionally show up at home, usually when they're hungry or need money. The three of them are the best thing that ever happened to me and I love them all. I spent over 24 years in the Royal Navy, but since I packed it all in and got a proper job my life has gone from strength to strength and I've never looked back. I am a die-hard soul music fan, but my heart truly belongs in the fells of Northern England, it's what I was made for. Please read about my adventures and experiences ....

Monday 3 August 2015

Grinding It Out

Right, I resolve to kick this blog into action - enough of this procrastination:

Things have been a bit busy of late. It was the Lakeland 50/100 the weekend before last and we stood on the 50 startline for what was our third (and probably final) outing. It went OK, slightly cooler than last year so I was able to keep (de)hydration at sensible levels and the cramp that has plagued me on this event was mostly kept at bay. All in all, it was a successful outing and I trimmed over 30 mins off last year's time to finish in 11:27:06, but the real stars of the show were Helen and our friend Carol.  Helen had a terrific outing last year, finishing in 10:45 and 8th lady, but this year she just surpassed herself to do it in 10:00:47 and 5th lady overall. Of course, she's moaning a bucketload about those 47 seconds, but I am ignoring her. A fine run. Carol just outdid herself to finish the 100 in an astounding 25:47 and 1st lady by some margin, a fantastic result and one that's richly deserved. Slightly amazing that both these (daft) gals went out this weekend and did a trail marathon, finishing 2nd and 4th. Personally, I could barely walk just a week after my one and only 100-mile outing, never mind run!!

This weekend I have been mostly drinking and eating.  Helen was away with Carol at a girls' weekend (which took in the race above), so I faffed around and fixed things on Friday night/Sat morning, then on Saturday afternoon went out with some mates on a circular off-road route around Otley and the outskirts of Harrogate. 20 miles later we came back very wet, covered in mud and having met some considerable nettle patches en-route.  Oh yes, I also head-butted a tree in the process (the tree won). We then drank a load of beer, then went out in the evening to a terrific Indian restaurant where we drank more beer. I retired home, hurt.

Sunday I returned to the scene of the crime for a mutual hangover-bonding session and bacon butties up the Ying Yang (ie. lots of). Feeling shite, I got Sophia out and donned lycra for a hilly ride out in the hills with a pal, the aim being to shake off the hangover. Colossal fail.

Woke up this morning still feeling rough, but I'd promised Em that I would go swimming with her .... thus it was I was shivering in an under-heated pool at 6.30a.m. and wishing I was still firmly held in a wrestling grip by my duvet. 60 brisk(ish) lengths later, I was beginning to perk up a bit. Am knackered now though. Need food.

No comments: